Tuesday 15 November 2011

The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett, has been one of my favourite books that I have read this year. I managed to pick it up in a charity shop after friends had raved about it and I was not disappointed! The characters really come alive and, like many of my friends had said to me, I missed them when the book was over! It is based around the civil rights movement in the 1960's and focuses on the lives of the African American maids and the white families they worked for.


The story is not without it's moments of extreme sadness. I found myself in tears at one or two points. But it is also filled with a fair few moments of that old heart warming stuff! I really don't want to give any of it away but some of the maids had surprising stories of kindness from their white families, amongst the bleak ignorance.

I recently went to see the film version and it was incredible! I was worried it jjust wouldn't be able to live up to how good the book was (One Day anyone?) but I left with a sigh of relief!

The actresses that play Aibileen, Minny and Skeeter (Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and Emma Stone) were so true to how I thought they would be. I find this rarely happens in a book to film adaptation.


I urge you to both read the book and watch the film. Revel in on of the few occasions the book to film craze gets it right!

Miss x

No comments:

Post a Comment