Thursday 8 September 2011

Late to the Party...


The Wombats. Yes, I know, I'm the last person in the world to rave about them. But I really, really do like them. I stumbled across them from flicking through music channels at my Brother's house (I have no TV, so this in itself was very exciting) and found myself wanting to dance.

Now, as my friends will know (to their despair sometimes) I'm not one for a slow song. I don't really know why! If I have a broken heart, I can't bear a sad song, instead I turn to Paramore for a bit of angry jumping around. If I'm feeling melancholy, I tend to choose songs with lyrics that mean something to me. I'm also a melody girl. When listening to a song, I listen to the music first. It's only later that I begin to listen to the lyrics, which is how a few ballad types have crept into my collection. Many of Horror and The Gambler steal my heart.

So, with that in mind, I was nervous about The Wombat's album 'This Modern Glitch'. What if I was horrbily misled, as often happens, into an album with one awesomely happy tune and 9 dreadry ballads?

I was not disappointed. Not only am I in love with the musical craftings, but the lyrics got me too. I'm not going to lie, they're not exactly littered with metaphorical musings, but they make me laugh and I like their honesty.

What a great achievement it was to get a hotel room this late
I bet they charge by the hour here
The kind of place where you should bring your own UV ray
It's not a big problem with me, love
You don't look that hygienic anyway
I'm only here because I want to twist the structure of my average day

-Jump into the Fog

If you want a song to encourage more than casual hip shake, may I recommend 'Techno Fan'? I for one, feel like grabbing my nearest and dearest (randomers if none are available) and jumping up and down, clinging each other and giving our loudest 'ooooh oooh ooh ooh oooh'!

However, for something a tad more mellow, '1996' captured me straight away. I wish I could explain it. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact, that I really didn't have any cares in the 1990's. I have a lot of good things in my life, but responsibilities can be such a bummer. Bring back 1996.


I'm glad I finally joined the party. The Wombats sure throw a good'un.

Miss x

No comments:

Post a Comment